June 19 2023
Research and Creation Residency for Professional Puppeteers
Calling all professional puppeteers! Would you like a creative immersive experience in two different spaces? Casteliers and the Conseil des arts de Montréal are teaming up with Le Schatz to offer just that. You will have the chance to develop a research-creation project at the Maison internationale des arts de la marionnette (MIAM) in Montréal and at Le Schatz, a house and artist workshop in Sutton.
Research and Creation Residency for Professional Puppeteers
NEW - Orora Self-Identification Form
From now on, you will be asked to complete an optional self-identification form when you apply on Orora. The information collected will be used to document and measure the impact of the Conseil’s initiatives, improve program eligibility, ensure fair access, help us better host and support artists from underrepresented groups, following the adoption of our equity policy in September 2023.
Personal information collected through this form is protected under privacy legislation (Law 25).
Who is eligible to apply?
This residency is intended for individual puppeteers, collectives and professional organizations that practise traditional or contemporary forms of puppetry.
What are the program objectives?
The residencies were developed based on the following objectives:
- offer puppeteers in residence time to work and rehearse on a show being created, whether they are at the beginning, middle or end of their process
- support the creation of works by the Montréal puppetry community
What are the specifics?
One of the two residencies is reserved for a project by artists from a minority group: Indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit), racialized minorities or people from diverse ethnocultural communities.
What type of assistance is provided?
The residency is a partnership between the Conseil des arts de Montréal and Casteliers, in collaboration with the Maison internationale des arts de la marionnette (MIAM) and Le Schatz.
Each creation residency includes:
- a $2,500 research and creation grant
- a flat-rate allowance to cover travel and living expenses at Le Schatz
- exclusive use of the MIAM laboratory and access to the workshop and workbench
- exclusive use of Le Schatz (in Sutton) for five days
- a safe workplace that complies with the CNESST standards
- hosting, supervision and technical tools during the residency at the MIAM
- a $250 budget for the purchase of materials
- unlimited Internet access
What is the duration of the support?
This is a one-time, non-recurring grant.
What types of projects are eligible?
Research and creation.
What are the general eligibility criteria?
Status and conditions
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Reside on the Island of Montréal
- Be recognized as a professional artist
Incorporated non-profit organizations on the Island of Montréal
- Be a non-profit organization or artists’ cooperative that pays no dividends
- Be based on the Island of Montréal
- Have a board of directors composed mainly of Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- Have the mandate to create, produce or disseminate art works
- Possess a level of recognized and demonstrable competence
- Be directed by qualified individuals
- Have stable artistic direction
- Have presented activities of a recognized artistic quality
- Be staffed by professional artists and/or cultural workers
- Have a designated member responsible for the application
- Be a group of artists, regardless of the number (minimum of two)
- Two thirds of its members must be artists with Canadian citizenship or permanent residence; the proportion of members of the collective residing outside Canada may not exceed one third
- The majority of the collective’s members (50% +1) must reside in one of the partnership cities, including the person responsible for the application
- Be composed of professional artists
When must the project be carried out?
The research and creation residencies will each last for 17 days. They will take place in two stages :
- 12 days at the Maison internationale des arts de marionnette (MIAM) in Montréal
- 5 days at Le Schatz in Sutton
The residency must be held during one of those time periods : from December 4 to December 15, 2023, from January 8 to January 19, 2023 or from April 29 to May 10, 2024, and at Schatz in the months of September 2023, November 2023 or April 2024.
How many applications will be approved?
Two projects will be selected.
Questions about certain terms?
Consult our glossary
How can I submit an application?
For more information or to submit your application, visit the Casteliers website.
How are applications evaluated?
Applications will be evaluated by a selection committee composed of four individuals—one representative from Casteliers, Le Schatz and the Conseil des arts de Montréal, as well as one culturally diverse artist.
What are the evaluation criteria?
The applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Interest of the creation project – 50%
- Artistic quality of the work of the artist, collective or company – 30%
- Feasibility and relevance of the project in the MIAM and Le Schatz – 20%
What is the response time?
The selection committee will release its decision in July 2023.
How will the grant be paid?
The grant offered by the Conseil will be paid through Casteliers.
Accepting payment of the grant constitutes, for the artist, organization or collective, an undertaking to complete the activities covered by the grant and to comply with the accompanying conditions.
The organization or collective agrees to:
- plan, in collaboration with Casteliers, when the residencies will take place at the MIAM and Le Schatz
- comply with the pre-established residency schedule and carry out their project as planned
- comply with the Public Health guidelines in effect
- prepare and send a brief report of its experience to Casteliers within 30 days of the end of the residence
- mention the support of the Conseil des arts de Montréal and Casteliers in the promotional tools for the show
Visibility Standards and Logos
Arts organizations, collectives or individual receiving grant from the Conseil must mention this funding in their information, promotional, or advertising material.
Results ratified by the Board of Directors on September 5, 2023
Number of eligible applications submitted: 18
Number of applications accepted: 2 (+ 2 favourite prizes)
List of recipients:
Céline Chevrier (coup de cœur)
Collectif Ausgang (coup de cœur)
Synthèse additive (coup de cœur)
Total amount invested: 15 000 $
Need more information?
514 270-2717 #firstname.lastname@example.org