Socio-Ecological Transition Committee
Would you like to use your knowledge of environmental issues to help decarbonize the arts? The Conseil des arts de Montréal invites you to play an active role in tackling the climate crisis by joining its Socio-Ecological Transition Committee.
A renewed focus on the socio-ecological transition
In its 2022–2025 Strategic Plan, the Conseil des arts de Montréal (CAM) chose to make the socio-ecological transition a priority. The CAM intends to play a leading role in our collective efforts to address the climate crisis.
The CAM seeks to contribute to the targets set by the City of Montréal in its 2020–2030 climate plan (cutting GHG emissions by 55% by 2030 and becoming carbon neutral by 2050) in several ways. The main ones include completing its own transition, encouraging and supporting the transition of the arts community, recognizing innovative environmental initiatives and incorporating environmentally responsible requirements into all its programs by 2025.
The call to create a Socio-Ecological Transition Committee reporting to the CAM’s Board of Directors was soon heard. In 2023, Josée Duplessis, Executive Director of the Maison du développement durable, joined the Board and agreed to chair the new committee.
Mandate of committee members
The Socio-Ecological Transition Committee monitors, supports and advises on the CAM’s practices in the area of environmental stewardship.
The committee’s responsibilities include the following:
- Advise the Board of Directors, Executive Director and members of the CAM’s “Green” Committee on environmental stewardship and, if necessary, seek the advice of external experts
- Assist in introducing a policy on environmental responsibility
- Assist the Executive Director and “Green” Committee (an internal committee made up of CAM personnel) in implementing an action plan, reviewing environmental reports and making recommendations
- Serve as CAM ambassadors by promoting activities and projects aligned with the socio-ecological transition action plan
- Encourage the Board of Directors to apply best practices in environmental stewardship in all matters that are brought to the CAM’s attention and fall under the socio-ecological transition action plan
- Desire to contribute their professional experience to the CAM’s environmentally responsible transition and to decarbonizing the arts and culture sector
- Possess a network that can contribute to carrying out the CAM’s environmentally responsible transition action plan
- Expertise in ESG governance, social innovation, managing projects that advance the socio-ecological transition or any other relevant experience
- Knowledge of environmental issues (e.g., circular economy, waste management, eco-design, life cycles, GHG calculation tools, climate justice, etc.)
- Sensitivity to arts and culture sector challenges and realities
A selection committee comprised of members of the Socio-Ecological Transition Committee and of the CAM’s management team will meet after the December 1, 2023 deadline to review the applications received. Candidates with the required profile will be contacted by the end of December 2023.
The CAM invites anyone who is interested in joining the Socio-Ecological Transition Committee and matches the target profile to express their interest by December 1, 2023, by completing the form below and by sending CV and letter of intent to email@example.com.